The 50-Mile Quest for the Primate Medallion

It’s not important where you came from or where you are, what matters is where you are headed. – Vic Garcia

The End Point of the Race from Panglao Island to the Awesome Chocolate Hills. Thanks Cris for capturing this, I am able to enhance this photo. 🙂

I miss ultrarunning. The moment I informed my friends that I am coming home in May, they likewise told me that there is a budding ultra race coming up in Bohol. I signed up without hesitation. Thanks to my friends who had helped me out in having all things done.

The day before the race, checking out the Bohol delicacy!

Yes. I am guilty of really having limited training, but because it will be a road race, I trusted my old experience and believed that I could finish it on their assigned cut off. 15 hous for a 50 miler.

Me and Yan on starting on the race together

Race day. May 20, 12MN.
Runners started in the island of Panglao in Bohol going to the majestic pride of the provice, the chocolate hills. Normally, on a 50 miler race, I would always like to start on a 7min/k pace. I went to 8:30 min/k thid time because I know the first would drain me. 8:30 was ok, at least manageable. I really felt I was doing ok until I felt fatigue at Km30 ultimately failing at Km40 that is 6 hours of running…

Km 50+ I am about to throw the towel. Gruesome uphill turned up-hell!

My legs started to freeze and quit on me as I can’t force it to run. Lifting it gave me too much presure and pain, not to mention my old time chaffing issue long long back. My palms already bulged and little that I knew that it went the same on my legs. This is the 2nd time that I really felt helplessness in running (first was my first marathon in Subic). I checked the time and thought I can still do it for I still have 9hours. I walked. checked my garmin all the time and started enjoying the place. Literally, I was hiking from an uphill to another, enjoying the mangroove scenes as well as the manmade forest. I made 5K per hour until Km 65. Runners started passing me one after another and I couldn’t care less. Km 70 when I noticed blisters were present on both feet. Thanks to the vacillating weather, rain, shine, rain, shine! It’s really crazy as it was playing with us. Thanks to my friends who always volunteers for support!

Tantrum mode to the last few kilometers

After 14hours and 45 minutes, I crossed the finish line. Grabbed my the medallion, my shirt and my meal. I thought my pain ended but I was wrong when I asked a masseur for a massage and pinched my swollen right foot. I felt an excrutiating pain, I told him to stop but he didn’t and made my whole vision turned into shadows.

Survived 80K plus the fainting scene I had.

I fainted…

The 50-Miler Primate Medallion

It was probably ten… or maybe fifteen minutes when I eventually recovered. Wow!  First time I felt so tired and my body in pain just suddenly gave up.  the experience was gruesome but definitely a worth finishing race!  After 50 miles of hardship, I am glad I finally grabbed the medallion with tarsier engraved on it.  🙂

Acknowledgment on photos: Brandy Simbe, Cris dela Cruz and Aymi Perez


2 thoughts on “The 50-Mile Quest for the Primate Medallion

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s